The term Costa Verde, meaning "Green Coast" is the name of a tourist area covering the North-West coast of Portugal. Extending all the way down from the Spanish frontier in the North to 20km South of Porto. The coastline is largely unspoiled by mass tourism with long stretches of golden sands. Atlantic waves in certain places make ideal conditions for water sports, drawing surfers, kite-surfers and windsurfers alike.
The areas beauty extends far inland from the coast to more mountainous terrains, encompassing old ancient villages and historic cities. This area was the birthplace of Portugal and contains many historical and interesting monuments. Cities such as Braga, Guimarães and Porto maintain their original medieval infrastructure. Coastal towns such as Caminha, Viana do Castelo, Esposende and Vila do Conde are famed for their fishing heritage and historic seafaring traditions.
More About Costa Verde ►
GET A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR FLIGHT HERE:
National roads indicated as EN, IC and IP are free whilst others have tolls. Locals will use the Via Verde automatic toll device and have dedicated lanes going through the toll gate – you'll need to avoid these. Other than that Portuguese highways are well maintained and a joy to ride on. The A1 Lisbon, linking to the Algarve; A3 Valença and the Minho, A4 Amarante and Trás-os-Montes, linking to Bragança; A28 to Cerveira and the A29 to Aveiro. Some of these highways are to be paid at the end of the trip with the ticket that must be collected at the beginning of the highway.
GET A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR CAR HIRE HERE:
• Linha de Aveiro (urban) Train Timetable
• Linha de Braga (urban) Train Timetable
• Linha de Ermesinde (urban) Train Timetable
• Linha de Guimarães (urban) Train Timetable
• Linha de Marco de Canaveses (urban) Train Timetable
• Linha de Douro (regionais) Train Timetable
• Faro - Lisbon - Coimbra - Guarda - Viana - Valença (intercidades - via Campanhã) Train Timetable
• Rede Expressos: Website Rede Expressos run comfortable coach services across Portugal connecting most major towns and cities.